LIFEGUARD CERTIFICATION-BLENDED LEARNING
The American Red Cross Lifeguard Blended Learning program trains lifeguards to act with speed and confidence in emergency situations both in and out of the water. It combines online learning with onsite sessions to teach team work, rescue & surveillance skills, First Aid, CPR/AED & other skills you need to work as a professional lifeguard.
Dates: Mar 6 - 8, Apr 3 - 5, May 1 - 3, 15 - 17, 22 - 24, 26 - 29
Recertification Class: Apr 18, May 9, June 6
Waterfront Training: Mar 22, Apr 19, May 9, 18 & 20
HOURS: Friday 4:30-9:30 pm, Saturday and Sunday 8 am-5:30 pm
- Must be 15 years old on or before the final scheduled session of this course.
- Swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl (freestyle), breastroke or a combination of both, but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used.
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs. Candidates should place their hands under the armpits.
- Complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds: Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. The face may be in or out of the water. Swim goggles are not allowed. Surface dive, feet first or head first, to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object. Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface so you are able to get a breath.
- Candidates should not swim the distance under water. Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
- Attend and participate in all class sessions.
- Complete all eLearning Units.
- Demonstrate competency in all required skills, activities, and final rescue scenarios.
- Pass Lifeguarding Skills, Professional Rescue, CPR, and First Aid final written exams with minimum grades of 80%.
- Online time: 7 hours 25 min
- Facility time: 19 hours, 30 minutes
- Total course committment: 27 hours, 25 minutes
- You will receive an email with the online course information.
- Must complete the online portion of the class prior to the first day of the course.
You are encouraged to register as early as possible so you have more time to complete the 7.5 hour online course content. Visit the Canton Family YMCA Welcome Center or call (309) 647-1616.
Participants who successfully complete the course will receive certification in:
- American Red Cross Lifeguard
- Professional Rescuer CPR/AED
- First Aid
- Participants will receive a Lifeguard handbook and a CPR Mask.
Contact Caleb Taylor at 309-647-1616 or firstname.lastname@example.org