LIFEGUARD CERTIFICATION-BLENDED LEARNING
The American Red Cross Lifeguard Blended Learning course is to provide entry-level lifeguard participants with the knowledge and skills to prevent, recognize, and respond to aquatic emergencies. This course will also educate them to provide care for breathing and cardiac emergencies, injuries, and sudden illnesses until emergency medical services (EMS) personnel take over. The blended learning offering is designed to provide a flexible online learning environment for the knowledge-based aspects of the lifeguarding course, along with videos demonstrating the skills that participants will practice and master during the facility portion of the training.
March 31st-April 2nd
Saturday & Sunday 8:00am-5:30pm
Fees: Members $300 Community $325
May 15th & 17th
Monday & Wednesday 4:00pm-7:00pm
- Must be 15 years old on or before the final scheduled session of this course.
- Swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl (freestyle), breastroke or a combination of both, but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used.
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs. Candidates should place their hands under the armpits.
- Complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds: Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. The face may be in or out of the water. Swim goggles are not allowed. Surface dive, feet first or head first, to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object. Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface so you are able to get a breath.
- Candidates should not swim the distance under water. Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
- Attend and participate in all class sessions.
- Complete all eLearning Units.
- Demonstrate competency in all required skills, activities, and final rescue scenarios.
- Pass Lifeguarding Skills, Professional Rescue, CPR, and First Aid final written exams with minimum grades of 80%.
- Online time: 7 hours 25 min
- Facility time: 19 hours, 30 minutes
- Total course committment: 26 hours, 55 minutes
- You will receive an email with the online course information.
- Must complete the online portion of the class prior to the first day of the course.
- Download the Lifeguarding Course Manual.
You are encouraged to register as early as possible so you have more time to complete the 7.5 hour online course content. Visit the Canton Family YMCA Welcome Center or call (309) 647-1616.
Participants who successfully complete the course will receive certification in:
- American Red Cross Lifeguard
- Professional Rescuer CPR/AED
- First Aid
- Participants will receive a Lifeguard handbook and a CPR Mask.
For a printable PDF form with pricing.
Contact Caleb Taylor at 309-647-1616 or firstname.lastname@example.org